Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What is going on?

I've become quite concerned about the direction this country is going. The so called "american dream" has been lost and replaced with something undefinable. This has driven me to start this blog page, hoping to find that I am not the only one fed up with corporate greed, party politics in Washington D.C., and the effects of unfair obstructions our society places on it's citizens.

Let me first say that I am a registered independent, only because I have lost faith in both organized political parties to serve the public (individuals rather than groups). It's not difficult to remain neutral politically when so much of the country has been polarized. I think it's fair to say that politics has become a vehicle on which those who wish to profit ride. As long as the two parties can use the typical retoric against one another, the elitists in our society are free to run amuck, enslaving us to maintain their way of life for them. They use their money to influence our leaders decisions and reduce the common efforts of society to temporary personal wealth for themselves. The most recent evidence of this is the recent upheavals in Wall St. Personally, I'm glad the efforts of the Bush Administration to eliminate Social Security failed.

I digress. I'll try not to make a habit of it. As I age, I become more aware of how events amongst people are interconnected. This makes it difficult to separate one subject from another. I also don't want this blog to become too much of a political one. It's clear we have problems which involve our political system. I have ideas for cures, but that is yet another post (or two). The best news is that people showed up for the 2008 election. It gives me new hope. We also heard some real issues during presidential debates, which was refreshing. Ever notice how far behind the times Washington is? Anyone who grew up during the 1970s knows that our ecology is in trouble. It is also this group that will remember that the oil companies did not create excuses for their prices during the "oil crisis". They also didn't post record profits during that time. Maybe the country had not been stupified enough to believe it- or perhaps it was that sector of the population that had not yet evolved into the perfect machine of deception that it has become.

If these topics are of interest, I hope you'll post a comment or opinion. I'm still building this blog and while I am venting my frustration, I also hope to find answers to my concerns. It would also be nice to know that I'm not alone in my thinking.

No comments: